ua

ua

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Robbie Robertson : Contact From The Underworld Of Redboy 1998


Robbie Robertson, (born Jaime Royal Robertson, July 5, 1943) is a Canadian singer-songwriter, and guitarist. He is best known for his membership as the guitarist and primary songwriter within The Band.

One of the premier songwriters of the rock era, Robbie Robertson was born July 5, 1943, in Toronto, Ontario.

Contact from the Underworld of Redboy is an album by Robbie Robertson that was released in 1998 by Capitol Records. The album is composed of music inspired by Native American music (including traditional Native American songs and chants) as well as modern rock, trip-hop, and electronica, often integrated together, and features many guest artists.



Continuing their affiliation with Dylan, the group, renamed simply the Band, went on to become one of rock's seminal acts; propelled by Robertson's acute, evocative examinations of American mythology and lore, they made a series of seminal LPs, including 1968's Music from Big Pink and the following year's self-titled masterpiece.

The Band dissolved on Thanksgiving Day 1976 following an all-star concert filmed by director Martin Scorsese and later released as The Last Waltz.

The electronics are interwoven with blues, folk, country, and rock, as well as American Indian music.



And, as on Music for the Native Americans, Robertson is primarily concerned with American Indians throughout Contact, whether it's through the chants of "Peyote Healing" or the protest of "Sacrifice," which features Leonard Peltier a Native American who has been imprisoned since 1976 on charges of murder many believe are fabricated on a telephone call. Both his lyrical and musical concerns can get bogged down in their own pretensions, but often, the results are provocative and unique.


Tracklist

    1.  The Sound Is Fading     5:01    
    2.  The Code Of Handsome Lake     6:11    
    3.  Making A Noise     5:13    
    4.  Unbound     4:36    
    5.  Sacrifice     6:19    
    6.  Rattlebone     4:26    
    7.  Peyote Healing     6:10    
    8.  In The Blood     4:35    
    9.  Stomp Dance (Unity)     4:49    
    10. The Lights     5:54    
    11. Take Your Partner By The Hand (Red Alert Mix)  6:43

LEONARD   PELTIER





Leonard Peltier (born September 12, 1944) is a Native American activist and member of the American Indian Movement (AIM).
In 1977 he was convicted and sentenced to two consecutive terms of life imprisonment for first degree murder in the shooting of two Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents during a 1975 conflict on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

Peltier has been identified as a political prisoner by certain activist groups.
Amnesty International placed his case under the "Unfair Trials" category of its Annual Report: USA 2010 , citing concerns with the fairness of the proceedings.
His murder conviction has survived appeals in various courts over the years.

In 2002 and 2003, Paul DeMain, editor of News From Indian Country, wrote that sources had told him that Peltier had said he killed the FBI agents.

Peltier issued a statement in 2004 accusing one witness of perjury for her testimony and being a sellout. The two men charged in the murder of Aquash were convicted.

His last parole hearing was in July 2009.
His request for parole was denied. Peltier's next scheduled hearing will be in July 2024.





SACRIFICE


You know we have a million stories to tell
I'm just one of a million or more stories that could be told.

Sacrifice your freedom
Sacrifice your prayer.

Take away your language
Cut off all your hair.

Sacrifice the loved ones
Who always stood by me
Stranded in the wasteland
Set my spirit free.


My name is LEONARD PELTIER
I am a Lakota and Anishnabe
And I am living in the United States penitentiary
Which is the swiftest growing
Indian reservations in the country
I have been in prison since 1976
For an incident that took place on the Oglala-Lakota Nation.

There was a shoot-out between members of the American Indian Movement
And The FBI and the local Sheriffs State Troopers.


Two agents were killed and one Indian was murdered.

Three of us were charged with the deaths of the FBI agents.

My co-defendants were found not-guilty by reasons of self-defense
My case was separated and I was found guilty before
a jury of non-Indian people

The prosecutor stated that they did not know who killed their agents
Nor did he know what participation Leonard Peltier may have played in it.

But someone have to pay for the crime.

Sacrifice your freedom
Sacrifice your prayer
Take away your language
Cut off all your hair
Sacrifice the loved ones
Who always stood by me
Stranded in the wasteland
Set my spirit free.


The prosecutor stated that they did not know who killed their agents
Nor did he know what participation Leonard Peltier may have played in it
But someone has to pay for the crime.


There's a lot of nights that I lay in my cell
And I can't understand why this hell this hell and this terror
That I have been going through for twenty-one years hasn't ended.


Sacrifice your freedom
Sacrifice your prayer
Take away your language
Cut off all your hair
Sacrifice the loved ones
Who always stood by me
Stranded in the wasteland
Set my spirit free.
But yet I know in my heart that someone has to pay sacrifice
To make things better for our people
The sacrifice I have made when I really sit down to think about it
Is nothing compared to what our people a couple hundred years ago
Or fifty years ago or twenty-five years ago have made

Some gave their lives
Some had to stand there and watch their children die in their arms
So the sacrifice I have made is nothing compared to those


I've gone too far now to start backing down
I don't give up
Not 'til my people are free will I give up
And if I have to sacrifice some more
Then I sacrifice some more


Sacrifice your freedom
Sacrifice your prayer
Take away your language
Cut off all your hair

Sacrifice the loved ones
Who always stood by me
Stranded in the wasteland

Set my spirit free
But yet I know in my heart that someone has to pay sacrifice
To make things better for our people

The sacrifice I have made when I really sit down to think about it
Is nothing compared to what our people a couple hundred years ago
Or fifty years ago or twenty-five years ago have made
Some gave their lives

Some had to stand there and watch their children die in their arms
So the sacrifice I have made is nothing compared to those

I've gone too far now to start backing down
I don't give up
Not 'til my people are free will I give up
And if I have to sacrifice some more
Then I sacrifice some more


Flac HERE    

2 comments:

  1. This is great! i have always wanted to know where all the yummy Vegan places were and now i can easily eat out at these place or order in! thanks so much!
    Home Health Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard any of Robertson's solo albums but I just heard "In The Blood" on radio so I'm going to give the album a listen. Many thanks, Kostas.

    -Brian

    ReplyDelete